It is widely used for arresting bleeding following tooth extraction. It may also be used in other oral surgeries and in areas where the small size of the sponge is an advantage, e.g., epistaxis.
How HEMOSPONGE works:
The spongy structure of HEMOSPONGE provides a surface to thrombocytes of oozing blood, enabling thrombocytes to release a series of substances and promoting self-aggregation. At the same time, it also makes thrombocytes to act as a catalyst for the formation of the fibrin, activating a cascade of blood coagulation.
- Effectively stop all kinds of oozing blood (capillary, parenchymal, or arteriovenous)
- Can hold around 35 – 40 times of its own weight of blood/body fluids within its matrix
- pH neutral and can be impregnated with a wide variety of pharmaceuticals/biologics
- Manufactured from highly purified gelatin (collagen-derived protein)
- Non-toxic, non-allergic, and biocompatible
- Liquefies within 3 – 4 days when placed in the mucosal cavity
- Completely biodegradable (metabolized by proteolytic enzymes) and absorb in the body within 4-6 weeks when placed in tissues
- Manufactured in HEPA filtered clean rooms with environmentally and microbiologically monitored air
- Sterilized by gamma irradiation after final packaging to destroy any microorganisms without negatively affecting the physical properties of a product
- Double packed for assurance of sterility
- Supplied in the form of READY-TO-USE. No need to resterilize the product before its use
- Available in many sizes to fit common surgical procedures
- Complies US Pharmacopoeia standards